It’s impossible to know what the future holds, but planning can help you prepare. Our Armed Intruder Security Checklist will bring to your attention areas of vulnerability that should be addressed to help protect against armed intruders. Here are some things you should consider:
- Has local law enforcement been asked to conduct a free “security vulnerability assessment” of your buildings and grounds as a way to evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of current security practices at your facility?
- Has a formal plan been developed that identifies threats to your organization, including suspicious behaviors, such as violent threats, acting out, unusual behavior, etc.
- Has a reporting mechanism been developed for anonymous reporting and formal reporting of suspicious activities?
- Does your security team conduct practice drills on different actions to take in response to various threats that could occur at your worship center?
- Are security sweeps and observations conducted before, during and after worship center events by trained staff/volunteers to help detect potential threats involving suspicious people, packages or vehicles?
- Have you established a means of communication with members, guests and employees in the event an active assailant enters your facility?
- Does your program outline steps for members, guests and employees to take in the event of an active assailant event such as Alert, Lockdown, Inform, Counter and Evacuate?
- Have rally points been established and has a communication method been developed to account for all members, guests and employees in attendance?
- Have you developed a communication plan to inform the families of members affected, as well as the news media of the event?
- Have you identified tasks you must complete after the event to further improve preparedness, planning, response or recovery?
Click here to view and download the Armed Intruder Security Checklist.
The information contained in these materials is intended solely to provide general guidance on topics that may be of interest to you. While we have made reasonable efforts to present accurate and reliable information, Church Mutual Insurance Company, S.I. (a stock insurer)1 and its affiliates expressly disclaim all liability for any errors or omissions, or for any actions you take or fail to take based on these materials. Links to any external websites provided in these materials are not maintained by Church Mutual Insurance Company, S.I. or its affiliates. Church Mutual Insurance Company, S.I. and its affiliates are not responsible for and do not in any way approve or endorse the content or accuracy of such sites. The information provided in these materials may not apply to your particular facts or circumstances; therefore, you should seek professional advice prior to relying on any information that may be found herein. © 2020 Church Mutual Insurance Company, S.I.. All Rights Reserved. 1Church Mutual is a stock insurer whose policyholders are members of the parent mutual holding company formed on 1/1/20. S.I. = a stock insurer.